My biggest life changes have never happened in January.
So I know firsthand that at ANY time, we can make a decision to change the path that we’re on. We can alter the vision that we have for our lives.
We can leave employment. Start a business. Learn new things. Choose a new target market. Introduce new products or services. Change. Repeat. Grow. Stop.
We can decide to do ANYTHING.
There is so much power in a vision.
And according to this Psychology Today article, the simple practice of allowing your brain to visual what you truly desire trains the brain for actual performance. Simply put, it means your more likely to achieve what you’re aiming for.
the importance of a vision
In every single engagement with a client, the first exercise that we do together is one to truly understand her vision.
Where does she want to be in 3 years’ time? What does her business look like? Who else is around her? What other things are happening in her life? Etc.
Because in understanding where she’s trying to get to, we can create a plan for how she’s going to get there, build confidence, increase motivation, and increase her commitment levels.
Every time something gets a bit tough, she’ll see that vision of where she is trying to go.
my vision (mostly) happened to me
I drew a vision in 2013, when I was first getting started in my business. Here’s what was on it, and why…
- A globe: I wanted my business to take me to different locations, and allow me to be predominantly location independent.
- A plane: linked with the globe, I wanted my business to provide an income to allow me to travel for pleasure.
- The Eiffel Tower: even in 2013, I knew that I wanted to leave London at some point in the coming years. This represented my dream to live “somewhere” else.
- A clock with a gymnast: I hold “me time” sacred. I am a non-negotiable in my schedule!
- Friends: I am fiercely loyal and my relationships are very important to me.
- My Ex: well….at the time I thought he’d be in my future
- A mouth with country flags: I wanted to learn more languages.
- Hands: These represented the support I wanted to provide to different types of people.
- People Talking: My customers are happy and refer others to me
Wow…I haven’t looked at this picture in a long time!
It’s pretty incredible. This vision has become my reality (minus the ex). My business has taken me all over the world. I’ve travelled extensively for pleasure. I’ve relocated permanently to Nairobi. I have supported dozens of entrepreneurs in starting and building their businesses. And I have so many people who say great things about me to others.
but, it’s time for a new vision
A lot has happened since I started my business back in 2013. And a lot has changed in ways that I never imagined back then.
As I look back on this previous vision, I realise it’s time to create a new one. One to take me through the next 3-5 years of my life.
So here’s what I see so far, and why…
- A globe, with a focal point on east Africa: I still want to see as much as I can of this world, personally and professionally.
- A palm tree: I desire to live on the beach and come into the city when I need or want to.
- A house: Believe it or not, I see myself creating a home base 🙂
- Two hands together: To represent partnerships and collaborations.
- A large group of people: To represent the growth of the Afri-love Connection Club, the entrepreneurs I continue to support, and the network of others I have around me.
- Skyscrappers: I’ve lived in a lot of cities! Boston, NY, Chicago, London, Kingston, Nairobi… Each of these places have shaped me into the person I am today. Making time to visit and maintain relationships in each is very important to me.
- And more…!
what’s your vision?
I highly encourage you to take some time to visualise the life you want to create for yourself, all parts of it. It truly does work, even if you don’t see progress on a daily basis.
If you’re a female founder in Mombasa or Nairobi, join our vision boarding and goal setting workshops later this month. You’ll have an opportunity to create a beautiful visual representation of all the things you truly desire, and have a clear path forward on how to make it happen. To learn more and book your space, click here for Mombasa and here for Nairobi.
If you’re not a female or you’re unable to come to one of our events, leave your details in the form below and I’ll send you a short audio file in the coming week to walk you through a powerful visualisation exercise.